Sunday 22 March 2009

Sunday Afternoon

The usual Sunday afternoon on the allotment. I went to Huntingdon Garden and Leisure, but it was heaving (I think due to Mother's Day) so I passed on the usual scone. They have a lot of nice plug plants, much bigger and healther than the ones I've tried to grow on the windowsill but horribly expensive. I think my windowsill brassicas are going to have to be abandoned though, they're far too thin and leggy. Returned the duff greenhouse to Argos without too much fuss (I'd been putting it off, I hate taking things back) and saw a nice camera I might buy with my credit note. I've also got a greenhouse brochure from HG&L - the cheapest proper greenhouse is around £350.

There was a big pile of wood chippings on the allotment. Usually I miss this kind of thing but this weekend I was in time to grab a couple of barrows full. Enough to mulch the strawberries at any rate. I had another go at the potato patch. I would guess I'm about two-thirds of the way through, but it's a horrible job. Still, at least I'm likely to be done before my spuds have finished chitting. On the minus side my fingerprints will be messed up for my computer log-in (again) and I'll have to use oceans of handcream tomorrow morning.

My sciatica is starting to fade, but my leg aches a lot. I can only drive short distances before it gets too painful, but a long walk eases things up a lot. It wakes me up at 6am like clockwork at the moment, but walking to work (two and half miles) more or less sorts me out for the day. Between that and the allotment I'm losing weight like crazy.

In other news, found a 1938 penny on Jim's plot as I was walking past. Pennies were enormous in those days. Then again, you could probably buy a car with one. I might buy a fruit tree and bury the penny, and a 2009 equivalent, in a sort of time capsule underneath. That would be kind of cool, I think.

No comments: