Monday 16 March 2009

Hard work

A not great day on the allotment. I started on the potato patch but it's almost solid clay and infested with couch grass. As I get towards the back fence, the soil gets heavier and colder. It's going to take a few days to get through it. I only did about a third of it and it took a solid afternoon. There's also a lot of flint in the ground, and my hands are covered in cuts. Had a chat with Rose, who started when I did, and Sylvia the allotment rep. After my brush with the Bulgarian, I didn't feel much like staying on after everyone had left, so only lasted until about half four. I have to admit though, the allotment is starting to look like a proper allotment and the apple tree is finally bursting into leaf. I put up a couple of nest boxes, possibly a little late. No takers yet.

Surreally, someone is playing a jazz trumpet somewhere outside as I type, as though this was thirties Paris rather than suburban England. I rather like it but God only knows what the neighbours will think. There will be curtains twitching. There may even be tuts of disapproval and letters to the council. In any case, whoever the guy is, he certainly needs the practice.

No comments: